Senior Ruby Software Engineer
What will the role entail?
- Hands-on technical design and development within a cross-functional and autonomous team using agile methods. Excellent technical competence to work independently on ideas through to production.
- Test Driven Development – utilise and advocate TDD best practice within your team and with all software engineers.
- Code Reviews – responsible for performing peer and senior code reviews.
- Deployments – responsible for authorising deployments to production.
- Architectural Direction – work with technical team lead to ensure that the team’s architectural objectives are met.
- Application Performance – ensure performance, scalability and security is considered for all code, and continually identify and reduce technical debt.
- Out of Hours Support – provide second-line, out-of-hours production support as required.
- Working with third parties – in some cases working with third party development companies to ensure integrations meet coding and security standards.
- Technical Meet-ups – attend and actively represent OTB at relevant tech meet-ups and conferences, to share and learn about new technologies and ideas.
- Recruitment – taking part in the interview and selection process for software engineers.
- Understanding of MVC, Object Orientation and common design patterns and idioms, where relevant
- Solid command-line skills with extensive knowledge of unix, where relevant
- Git and idiomatic source control workflow
- Good exposure/participation with high-traffic/scalable websites or mobile applications, as relevant
- SDLC practices, including release procedures and test practices (TDD)
- Excellent debugging skills
- Understanding of agile practices, including pair programming, stand-ups, retrospectives, etc
- Databases & Search Engines – SQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, where relevant
- DBA admin and design, where relevant
- Staff discount on holidays
- On-site canteen
- Company social events
- Casual dress code
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay – based on length of service to qualify
- Length of Service awards
- Flexible working
- Free car parking
- Workplace pension
- Share Incentive Plan
- On site badminton court and putting green
- Healthshield - Voluntary health care plan
- Full time (37.5 hpw)
- Hours - 8.5 hours inc 1 hour lunch, Mon – Fri
- Office relocation to Manchester City Centre Autumn 2018
Apply by sending your CV and covering letter to ITjobs@onthebeach.co.uk