Ruby Software Engineer
What will the role entail?
- Hands-on software engineering within a cross-functional and autonomous team using agile practices.
- Test Driven Development – utilise TDD best practices.
- Code Reviews – responsible for performing peer code reviews.
- Deployments – responsible for making authorised deployments to production.
- Application Performance – ensure performance, scalability and security is considered for all code, and continually identify and reduce technical debt.
- Out of Hours Support – provide out-of-hours production support as required.
- Working with third parties – in some cases working with third party development companies to ensure integrations meet coding and security standards.
- Technical Meet-ups – attend relevant tech meet-ups and conferences, to share and learn about new technologies and ideas.
- Understanding of MVC, Object Orientation and common design patterns and idioms, where relevant
- Good command-line skills with extensive knowledge of unix, where relevant
- Git and idiomatic source control workflow
- Exposure/participation with high-traffic/scalable websites or mobile applications, as relevant
- SDLC practices, including release procedures and test practices (TDD)
- Excellent debugging skills
- Understanding of agile practices, including pair programming, stand-ups, retrospectives, etc
- Databases & Search Engines – SQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, where relevant
- Staff discount on holidays
- Flexible working
- Opportunity for training and development
- Workplace pension
- Healthshield - Voluntary health care plan
- Increasing holiday allowance with length of service
- Company social events
- Share Incentive Plan
- Casual dress code
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay – based on length of service to qualify
- Length of Service awards
- Cycle to work scheme
- Travel ticket loan
- Discounted gym membership
- Discount at local bars and restaurants (local to Manchester office)
- Friday afternoon free bar