What’s the role all about?
The course is delivered over 5 weeks. The coach will set homework at the end of each visit, giving candidates time to study and practice in between training.
The training will be based around a worked example which will gradually build out over the whole course. Where relevant, they will break out to study particular topics in depth, before returning to the worked example. Candidates can expect to spend most of their time programming, discussing or reflecting on a programming task they’ve just completed, or presenting their own research about a topic to the group. The course will cover the following specific subjects, with the programme adapted to suit the pace of the candidates and their feedback on areas they would like to concentrate on:
- Ruby language syntax
- Ruby tooling ecosystem:
- Ruby Gems
- Version managers
- Habitual use of Git, including branching, merging, rebasing and use of pull requests for code review:
- Frequent, small commits
- Green tests on every commit
- Good commit messages (subject/body)
- Habitual use of TDD/BDD with RSpec
- Listening to tests for design feedback
- Fast (isolated) tests vs integrated tests
- Importance of refactoring
- BDD inner/outer loops
- Object-Orientated Design:
- SOLID principles
- Rails: Basic Introduction
- Working in a service-orientated architecture: HTTP/ REST/ JSON/ HATEOAS, Sinatra, Message queues
- You’ll be passionate about Ruby or expanding your knowledge in the language and either have a relevant degree or perhaps be a self taught developer.
- Developers in other languages are more than welcome to apply if considering switching to Ruby on Rails
- Staff discount on holidays
- On-site canteen
- Company social events
- Casual dress code
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay – based on length of service to qualify
- Length of Service awards
- Flexible working
- Free car parking
- Workplace pension
- Share Incentive Plan
- On site badminton court and putting green
- Healthshield - Voluntary health care plan
- Increasing holiday allowance with length of service
- Full time (37.5 hpw)
- Hours - 8.5 hours inc 1 hour lunch, Mon – Fri
- Office relocation to Manchester City Centre Autumn 2018
N.B - Candidates must be available to start mid September. The training commences on 24th September for 5 consecutive weeks.
The training will take place at our Cheadle office and we should be moving to our new Digital HQ in Manchester shortly after!